You may (or may not) have noticed that I’d disappeared off the face of my blog for a while. I have had a very busy few months planning quite a big job and house move. I will be going part-time so I have more time for crafting! It has been really stressful organising everything, finding somewhere to live etc so blogging has taken a back seat. BUT….I am keen to get started again (as soon as I’ve moved).
I’m currently packing up all my craft stuff and it’s made me realise just how much stuff I have that I’ve not really experimented with. I have rolls and rolls of wallpaper samples and wrapping paper and I haven’t really played enough yet with my Inktense sticks or my Gelatos. I also have LOADS of fabric samples. I also have some new fabric paints I want to try gelli printing with.
I’ve decided when I have moved and started unpacking I am going to attempt to use some of my papers and some of my new art materials and create something new. Are you also guilty of forgetting what you’ve got?
How does everyone come up with titles for their artwork? I need to name them all by Monday and I’m struggling!!
So all my pieces are finished ready to be mounted. I am making 4 of the pieces raised from the background – which is tricky! So that part of it is a work in progress.
The other two pieces I ordered mounts for – but the framing shop got them totally wrong so they don’t fit! I was really upset. They are correcting them, so hopefully I can go and pick them up Friday night (hanging of the exhibition is Monday!)Probably another busy weekend next weekend!
Ahhh so I have 2 weeks and 2 days until our group printmaking exhibition goes up.
Firstly….I need to actually finish the pieces. Secondly….I need to get mounts cut. Thirdly…..I need to screw all the d rings onto the frames. I sense I’m going to have a busy weekend!
I’m excited though. I’ll add photos when everything is ready!
Well I really enjoyed my day at Patchings yesterday, despite the rain!
I’d never been before, but a friend suggested it and said I’d love it. It was quite a drive from me, but I’m glad I went.
There were a number of marques. A large one housed art materials from a variety of companies. I was quite good and didn’t buy anything from there, but it was great to chat to people about new products and to try some out. I also took part in a Derwent Workshop where I had a go with Charcoal and Graphite blocks (who knew they were water soluable!?) and it was interesting seeing the textures you can create with them.
My favourite tent (another large one) was the one with the craftspeople in. I was able to have a really good chat with a variety of makers, including a calligrapher, a felt-maker, a watercolourist and glass carver, a jewellery maker and a textile artist.
I think it was a really inspiring day. I’ve got lots of different things I want to try and courses I want to do. I don’t know how many other artists try as many different art forms as I have, but it meant that inspiration was literally around every corner!
Well I’ve been offline for almost a year!
Basically my computer was rubbish and I’ve been very busy with my new job etc.
I’ve decided so start up my blog again, but with a difference, now I’ve got a new laptop. I’m going to do the same kinds of things, but with a bit more chat. Talking about the things I’m doing and thinking and seeing, and what has inspired me!
I’m planning on going to an Art Festival tomorrow called Patchings, so maybe I will do a post about that.
I went to the Stamp Magic craft show recently and bought this for £5:
So I wanted to try doing something fun with it.
I love my embossing folders, but I’ve been umming and ahhing about how to make the most of them. I thought I’d try printing with them:
So first I opened the embossing folder and pressed the surface really well onto the pad.
Then I just closed it back up and inserted a piece of cheap white card
I ran it through my Big Shot Plus machine
and this is what I ended up with:
I took a second print too:
and you can get different results by using the other side:
The colours aren’t showing too well in these photos, but you get the idea 🙂
So I’ve seen the promotional videos for Chameleon Pens. I love the idea of being able to make lighter tones of each colour, but I have LOADS of Promarkers and the Chameleon Pens are pretty expensive.
I wondered….can you do the same thing with Promarkers?
So I bought a cheap colourless blender (99p from The Works) and decided to try them out.
So like with the Chameleon Pens, I tried holding the tip of the colourless blender to the tip of the Promarker. Apparently you have to do it with the blender pen above the Promarker or the colour from the marker goes onto the blender!
I then coloured with the Promarker:
Not all my photos came out well, but you can see from the one underneath that it colours from clear and gradually fades into the full Promarker colour.
I tried it for severall different lengths of time.
So it worked pretty well. Have a go yourself! Feel free to let me know if you have Chameleon pens, how you think it compares!
It seems to work best with darker/stronger colours.
So this is the finished page. It has the ‘repeating elements’ of week 8 and the 5+ layers of week 9.
This is what it looked like after the first 3 layers. I initially carved the feather stamp and stamped the background, then painted it with Inktense. Then I gelli plate printed over the top, and here I have added more feathers and stamped with an unmounted script stamp. I then messed it up a bit by printing with quite opaque pink over the top. So I printed with more white gesso and other colours, added yet more feathers and paint splodges and writing. I think it’s finished….not 100% sure yet. I like that I used my own handwriting loosened up. First time I have risked doing that and I will definitely do it more 🙂 I need to get a new dip pen which holds a bit more ink.