Twit Twoo – Canvases for my friend’s new baby!

So, one of the projects I worked on a couple of months ago was for my friend’s baby’s nursery. She wanted something feminine, but not just the classic baby colours. Or maybe that was my influence, as I wanted to do something brighter! She chose grey for the walls so she could bring in colour with the accessories and she didn’t know the sex of the baby at that point.

As soon as I knew she had had a baby girl I could get going!

I decided I wanted to do owls, so I started sketching and looking at other owl designs for inspiration. I already had my owl stamp as a starting point, but I wanted two owls for this set of canvases to go side by side with a name canvas in between.

canvases step 1

The first step was to use a stencil I had my Mum cut for me on her Silhouette machine and some coloured texture paste I made with Modge Podge and baby powder. Oddly it dried dark pink, which was a little disappointing as I’d wanted the same colour when it dried as it is in this picture.

So then I had to replace the stencil, mix in some white paint and redo it. I left a bit of bright pink showing through.

canvases step 2

The next step was to add some contrasting blue. Sorry the photos aren’t the best quality, I took them on my phone!

Then I began cutting the canvas shapes I needed for each owl. Here is how I started positioning them:

canvases step 3

Then I coloured the pieces and stitched around each eye and tummy piece with blanket stitch, before finally gluing them all on!

This is the final result:

canvas 1anonymised canvas 2owl final 3


Gel Plate Prints 3

I’ve been playing around even more with my plate formula and I think I have finally tackled the stickiness issue!

squares print 1

squares print detailThis print was done using a piece of cardboard I had used modelling paste onto with squares stamped into it. The second image is just a close up to show the texture.

gelli print

This one is just a straight-forward print. Not sure whether I like the roller marks or not!

 

gelli print background

This one is a paper stencil I’d used in various other prints used over a straight-forward printed background. I think it would make a good art journal background.

 

gelli print stenciled

 

This one is a ghost print of a stenciled print.

I have had a lot of fun playing around. I have so many prints now, I should work out what to do with them really!

 

Gel Plate Attempt 2

Gelli Plate Attempt 2

music notes print 1

cogs print 1Okay so the prints work, that’s good, but some of them are still a little sticky and I’m trying to work out why. I added a bit more water, but I think it still might be the glycerin. I’ve re-melted it and added a bit more water so we’ll see if it actually sets okay now! And if so, is it still sticky? Anyway these are some of the (many) prints from this print run!

If anyone has any ideas about the gel mixture, let me know!

I Found My Blitzer!

stencil plus blitzer

stencil plus blitzer colour restored

After seeing this post http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/beautiful-cityscape-i-love-this-stamp/  by the Frugal Crafter and seeing the machine Tim Holtz and Stampin Up are peddling, I thought….I have one of them from when I was a kid, but it’s called a Blitzer. My Mum had saved it in a cupboard and it’s in good nick considering it’s 15-20 years old! I thought it would be perfect for stenciling as I have found it pretty difficult to get a crisp image all over the stencil! You add pens (I used Promarkers) and pump air through it and the ink kinda bursts onto the page. Some pens put splodges and some more find sprays of ink, fab for stencils though so I’m really chuffed!

The second image is just where I have added colour restoration when scanning it in. Interesting to see how the colours change!

Rusty

Image
rusty pages 2rusty pages lockrusty pages key

I’ve had a lovely weekend creating art journal pages. I have tried a new way method to how I usually work – making it up as I go along, rather than designing it all in advance. For these pages I added the word ‘rusty’ first and then added elements to it afterwards. I have blurred out a picture of some keys on the right-hand page as I had this in my scraps box and I think I may have found it on Google so I don’t want to upset anyone!