Documented Life Project Week 4: Words With Friends

friends week 4

 

So this is my 4th page. I may have overdone the brightness and contrast, it’s not quite so bright in real life! This one is less ‘painterly’ than my other art journal pages, so I might eventually move it to a different art journal. I do like it. Whether it is ‘finished’ or not I am not sure yet. I sketched the girls out, then painted them and added the heads to the background after which I painted on the shoulders. It was my first proper attempt at hand drawn text. I think the text could be neater, but I quite like it. My scanner is not quite big enough to get the whole page, which is why the end of the writing is missed off.

 

 

Twit Twoo – Canvases for my friend’s new baby!

So, one of the projects I worked on a couple of months ago was for my friend’s baby’s nursery. She wanted something feminine, but not just the classic baby colours. Or maybe that was my influence, as I wanted to do something brighter! She chose grey for the walls so she could bring in colour with the accessories and she didn’t know the sex of the baby at that point.

As soon as I knew she had had a baby girl I could get going!

I decided I wanted to do owls, so I started sketching and looking at other owl designs for inspiration. I already had my owl stamp as a starting point, but I wanted two owls for this set of canvases to go side by side with a name canvas in between.

canvases step 1

The first step was to use a stencil I had my Mum cut for me on her Silhouette machine and some coloured texture paste I made with Modge Podge and baby powder. Oddly it dried dark pink, which was a little disappointing as I’d wanted the same colour when it dried as it is in this picture.

So then I had to replace the stencil, mix in some white paint and redo it. I left a bit of bright pink showing through.

canvases step 2

The next step was to add some contrasting blue. Sorry the photos aren’t the best quality, I took them on my phone!

Then I began cutting the canvas shapes I needed for each owl. Here is how I started positioning them:

canvases step 3

Then I coloured the pieces and stitched around each eye and tummy piece with blanket stitch, before finally gluing them all on!

This is the final result:

canvas 1anonymised canvas 2owl final 3