Documented Life Project Weeks 8-9

DLP weeks 8-9

So this is the finished page. It has the ‘repeating elements’ of week 8 and the 5+ layers of week 9.

DLP week 8 layers 1-3 copy

 

This is what it looked like after the first 3 layers. I initially carved the feather stamp and stamped the background, then painted it with Inktense. Then I gelli plate printed over the top, and here I have added more feathers and stamped with an unmounted script stamp. I then messed it up a bit by printing with quite opaque pink over the top. So I printed with more white gesso and other colours, added yet more feathers and paint splodges and writing. I think it’s finished….not 100% sure yet. I like that I used my own handwriting loosened up. First time I have risked doing that and I will definitely do it more 🙂 I need to get a new dip pen which holds a bit more ink.

Twit Twoo – Canvases for my friend’s new baby!

So, one of the projects I worked on a couple of months ago was for my friend’s baby’s nursery. She wanted something feminine, but not just the classic baby colours. Or maybe that was my influence, as I wanted to do something brighter! She chose grey for the walls so she could bring in colour with the accessories and she didn’t know the sex of the baby at that point.

As soon as I knew she had had a baby girl I could get going!

I decided I wanted to do owls, so I started sketching and looking at other owl designs for inspiration. I already had my owl stamp as a starting point, but I wanted two owls for this set of canvases to go side by side with a name canvas in between.

canvases step 1

The first step was to use a stencil I had my Mum cut for me on her Silhouette machine and some coloured texture paste I made with Modge Podge and baby powder. Oddly it dried dark pink, which was a little disappointing as I’d wanted the same colour when it dried as it is in this picture.

So then I had to replace the stencil, mix in some white paint and redo it. I left a bit of bright pink showing through.

canvases step 2

The next step was to add some contrasting blue. Sorry the photos aren’t the best quality, I took them on my phone!

Then I began cutting the canvas shapes I needed for each owl. Here is how I started positioning them:

canvases step 3

Then I coloured the pieces and stitched around each eye and tummy piece with blanket stitch, before finally gluing them all on!

This is the final result:

canvas 1anonymised canvas 2owl final 3


Gel Plate Prints 3

I’ve been playing around even more with my plate formula and I think I have finally tackled the stickiness issue!

squares print 1

squares print detailThis print was done using a piece of cardboard I had used modelling paste onto with squares stamped into it. The second image is just a close up to show the texture.

gelli print

This one is just a straight-forward print. Not sure whether I like the roller marks or not!

 

gelli print background

This one is a paper stencil I’d used in various other prints used over a straight-forward printed background. I think it would make a good art journal background.

 

gelli print stenciled

 

This one is a ghost print of a stenciled print.

I have had a lot of fun playing around. I have so many prints now, I should work out what to do with them really!

 

Gel Plate Attempt 2

Gelli Plate Attempt 2

music notes print 1

cogs print 1Okay so the prints work, that’s good, but some of them are still a little sticky and I’m trying to work out why. I added a bit more water, but I think it still might be the glycerin. I’ve re-melted it and added a bit more water so we’ll see if it actually sets okay now! And if so, is it still sticky? Anyway these are some of the (many) prints from this print run!

If anyone has any ideas about the gel mixture, let me know!

DIY Gelli Plate: Attempt 1

Ghost print 1ghost print 2Well I had a go at making my own gelli plate. BUT I accidentally put too much glycerin in it. It printed perfectly, but the prints remained a bit sticky….hmm, I have tried to rectify this by melting it down and adding a splash more water…just waiting for it to set….fingers crossed! If not, I might need to go get some more gelatine!

My New Art Journal

New Art Journal

cover detail

I was at ‘The Range’ the other day, having gone to have a browse and maybe pick up a smash journal.  I wanted to buy a made up journal to use, as the sketchbook I’m using is a bit awkward, because you can’t take the pages out to work on them and the 3D elements mean that rubber stamping is tricky. I was so chuffed to find one of the Madam Payraud journals for £2, because it was missing the packaging and I snapped it up straight away.

I’ve decorated it by adding ribbons, lace, a friendly plastic embellishment and some text I printed out on my printer.