Distressed Flowers

my own background design 1 close up copy

I’ve just had another Tim Holtz Distress Oxide ink pad arrive in the post (fossilized amber)…….I seem to love everything Tim creates…if only I were rich or he lived close enough to marry…..although of course he may not be single…or straight?…..I decided to try the ink pad out.

I’m developing some sketches/designs from some flowers I photographed over the weekend. This is one of the backgrounds I came up with.

Firstly I laid a base of various layers of Distress Oxide (cracked pistachio, fossilized amber and wilted violet) by ‘smushing’ them …not sure if I like that word, sorry Tim, think you use that… onto a piece of acetate, spraying with water and then pressing the watercolour paper down on top. I thought it needed a hit of pink…oh no, I used another cliché…but ‘pop’ sounds worse….. but as I didn’t have any other colours of oxide, I just used a normal Distress Ink pad (picked raspberry).

I then traced my design over the top and used a paintbrush and water to take off some of the colour.

I’ll be interested to see what everyone else is doing with their Distress Oxides.

If you want to see another way I’ve used them, have a look at this post where I’ve used them in cards.

my own background design 1 copy

Printing from Embossing Folders

I went to the Stamp Magic craft show recently and bought this for £5:

emobossing folder printing 6

emobossing folder printing 7

So I wanted to try doing something fun with it.

I love my embossing folders, but I’ve been umming and ahhing about how to make the most of them. I thought I’d try printing with them:

So first I opened the embossing folder and pressed the surface really well onto the pad.

embossing folder printing 1

Then I just closed it back up and inserted a piece of cheap white card and ran it through my Big Shot Plus machine

emobossing folder printing 8

and this is what I ended up with:

emobossing folder printing 5

I took a second print too:

embossing folder printing 3

and you can get different results by using the other side:

emobossing folder printing 9

The colours aren’t showing too well in these photos, but you get the idea 🙂

Documented Life Project Weeks 8-9

DLP weeks 8-9

So this is the finished page. It has the ‘repeating elements’ of week 8 and the 5+ layers of week 9.

DLP week 8 layers 1-3 copy

 

This is what it looked like after the first 3 layers. I initially carved the feather stamp and stamped the background, then painted it with Inktense. Then I gelli plate printed over the top, and here I have added more feathers and stamped with an unmounted script stamp. I then messed it up a bit by printing with quite opaque pink over the top. So I printed with more white gesso and other colours, added yet more feathers and paint splodges and writing. I think it’s finished….not 100% sure yet. I like that I used my own handwriting loosened up. First time I have risked doing that and I will definitely do it more 🙂 I need to get a new dip pen which holds a bit more ink.

The Documented Life Project Week 3 – The Colour Wheel

colour wheel

This is my attempt at DLP week three, using book pages (or in my case patterned tissue paper and gesso. I used handmade stamps to put coloured shapes in the background and covered over with gesso (actually it was white emulsion). Apologies that the centre is unclear, it didn’t scan too well where all the strings are! I stamped in black archival on all the individually painted mini tags. I’m quite pleased with it. Not every thing is perfect, but it has a neatness to it that I don’t normally have in my art.

Documented Life Project Week Two – The Beginning is Always Today

DLP week 2

 

So here is my attempt at week 2. I created a background with the insides of envelopes (very interesting visual textures). I wanted to try meditation/mindfulness as once of my goals. I also wanted to include handwritten text. This layout isn’t quite finished, but I like parts of it. I need to add an alternative quote at the top somewhere. I am practising my handwritten text a bit more before I do!

January Week 1 DLP

Week 1 Goals

So I’ve been a bit busy and haven’t posted anything for ages!

I’ve been taking part in two online weekly challenge thingies (not sure what you call them!)

The main one I am doing is the Documented Life Project 2015. I am also using the techniques of some of the Journal Journey Driver Reviver.

This is the piece I did for DLP week one. The prompt was about creating your own goals and you have to use book pages in your background. I used brown paper and wrapping paper in by backgrounds instead. It’s the first time I’ve properly used washi tape on a page too!

I am up to date with the challenges, so I’ll post some of the others when I get time!

Gel Plate Prints 3

I’ve been playing around even more with my plate formula and I think I have finally tackled the stickiness issue!

squares print 1

squares print detailThis print was done using a piece of cardboard I had used modelling paste onto with squares stamped into it. The second image is just a close up to show the texture.

gelli print

This one is just a straight-forward print. Not sure whether I like the roller marks or not!

 

gelli print background

This one is a paper stencil I’d used in various other prints used over a straight-forward printed background. I think it would make a good art journal background.

 

gelli print stenciled

 

This one is a ghost print of a stenciled print.

I have had a lot of fun playing around. I have so many prints now, I should work out what to do with them really!